History of Bangladesh-Bhutan Relations
- Relations between Bangladesh and Bhutan have developed steadily since 1971, though we are deeply connected with Bhutan through Buddhist preachers from time immemorial.
- Bhutan was the first country to recognize the newly independent Bangladesh on 06 December 1971 when His Majesty the 3rd King of Bhutan sent a message of recognition by telegram.
- Since then Bangladesh and Bhutan share a special multidimensional bilateral relationship. Immediately after the independence, the Bhutanese Government took initiative to establish diplomatic relations with Bangladesh and, consequently, formal diplomatic relations was established on 12 April 1973.
- The first Ambassador of Bhutan to Bangladesh presented his credentials to the President of Bangladesh on 29 April 1973.
- Bangladesh accredited its High Commissioner in New Delhi concurrently to Thimphu, who presented his credentials to the Bhutanese King as the first Ambassador of Bangladesh to Bhutan on 19 May 1973.
- Bangladesh and Bhutan opened resident Missions at Ambassadorial level in each other’s capitals in January 1980.
- Since the independence of Bangladesh, both the countries have taken active interest in strengthening and deepening bilateral relations progressively over the years.
Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Bangladesh and Bhutan: In 2023, Bangladesh and Bhutan celebrated the Golden Jubilee (50th Anniversary) of the formal establishment of Diplomatic Relations between the two countries. On this occasion, three major events have been organized involving the top leadership of Bhutan to showcase Bangladesh -
(i). On 25 May 2023, a joint reception and cultural program was organized at the Hotel Taj Tashi in Thimphu where Hon’ble Foreign Minister of Bhutan Lyonpo Dr. Tandy Dorji was the chief guest.
(ii). On 26 May 2023, a Bangladeshi cultural night was organized where Her Majesty the Queen Mothers, Royal Highnesses Princes and Princesses of Bhutan attended.
(iii). On 14 June 2023, a reception was organized where Hon’ble Prime Minister, Foreign Minister, Commerce and Industry Minister, Power Minister, Agriculture Minister, Finance Minister and Health Minister of Bhutan attended and paid homage to the Father of the Nation at the ‘Bangabandhu Corner’ in Bangladesh House in Thimphu.